Roti is the primary food that is consumed in almost every Indian household daily. Roti is also called Chapati, is a soft, fluffy flatbread. Roti or chapati as it is called is loaded with ghee or butter which makes it taste the best. It takes time to make this roti and uses quite some amount of energy out of a person. Here, electric roti makers come in handy, as it lessens the process and saves quite some time for the user. It excludes the procedure of flattening the roti to make the round rotis. Here we are going to learn how does an Electric Roti maker work?
The roti maker uses the simple technique of pressing the dough into shape and heating it to make it into a roti. If a person is late to make dinner the first thing that they would think of making would be Roti. So, in such time-constrained situations, the Roti maker would be the best option as it would help in reducing the procedure of roti making and would make sumptuous rotis in no time. Here we are going to discuss an Electric Roti Maker.
How does the Electric Roti Maker work?
The Roti Maker an electronic gadget that takes just about a fraction of seconds to make Rotis and the person can eat fresh, hot rotis in no time. It puts the person at a lot of ease, by cooking the rotis without exerting on time. The individual who wants to make roti has to use a simple method to heat the rotis in an electric roti maker that is to take the flour dough and press it on the center of the roti maker, then close the lid and the roti maker would spread the dough in a round shape now it just has to be cooked on the stove and served. The electric roti makers usually use the nonstick surface to flatten the bread. It just takes about 60 seconds to flatten the bread in an Electric Roti Maker.
How to make Roti in an Electric Roti Maker?
The ingredients for making the Roti in an electric roti maker are 2 cups of bread flour, 1 and 1/3 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of melted oil or butter or ghee, and 1 teaspoon of salt, this amount of ingredients would help in making 18 rotis in all.
- The first step is to make the Roti dough, for this, the individual has to mix the flour and salt in a bowl, that is, the 2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of salt has to be mixed well in a mixing bowl. In case if the individual does not have bread flour, then they can use all-purpose flour to make the rotis.
- Now into the mixture of flour and salt add 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and start mixing it well. Indians tend to use their hands to mix the ingredients, but if you do not wish to do so you can use a spatula. Once the mixture is completely mixed and becomes crumbly you have to stop. Instead of melted butter, Oil or Ghee can also be used to add to the mixture.
- The next step is to add water into the mixture, that is use 1 and 1/3 cup of water, and mix it well with your hands, using one’s hand would make the dough soft. The individual should make sure to wash their hands before mixing the dough with their bare hands. The individual has to scrape off the dough that gets stuck to the bowl and mix it into the dough. The person should also take off their rings if wearing any so that the ring does not get dirty because of the mixing. A point that has to be noted is that the roti dough that has to be put in the roti make should be wetter than the usual roti dough as this wetness of the dough would make it much easier to spread the dough into a circular shape.
- After the mixing has been completed the individual has to knead the dough well at least for 5 mins. So, for this the person has to scrape off the dough that gets stuck to the bowl or falls off from the main ball of dough, pick up the dough and drop it into the bowl again and pressure it with one’s palms this would release air bubbles from the mixture and make sure that the mixture is well mixed. This process is the reason which makes the rotis soft and fluffy to eat. Since the roti dough that we are making is to be put in the roti maker it would be stickier and wet, than the traditional soft dough, as this process usually makes the dough soft. So, this dough would not have a smooth texture to it.
- The next step is to cover the dough with a wet cloth or paper towel and let it rest for about 30 minutes. The wet cloth or paper towel would keep the dough from losing its texture and help from it not becoming hard and forming crusty sections in the dough. After 30 minutes of resting, the individual has to start taking or dividing the dough into 18 equal parts, for this one can sprinkle a little bit of flour or oil over the dough or on one’s own hands so that it does not stick to one’s hands and starting rolling each part into a small ball. It is perfectly all right if the size of all the balls is not the same just try your best to keep it similar.
- Now here comes the work of the Roti maker, so to begin with the Electric Roti Maker has to be placed firmly on a surface. And the switch has to be turned on. The electric roti makers tend to have a light that signals whether the roti maker is heated up or not. Check for this signal. The person should make sure that the placing of the roti maker is firm so that it does not slip off while working. To ensure this the individual could place a cloth under the maker, this stabilizes the roti maker. The individual should also ensure that the roti maker is clean and there are no crumbs, dust, grease, or something stuck to it, it is always best to clean the roti maker before using it.
- Now the small balls that had been made earlier have to be placed one at a time in between the center and the top of the roti maker. Placing the dough balls in such a manner would ensure that the dough does not squeeze out of the maker while spreading it. The roti maker has to be closed by pressing the top handle to secure its position. This step would give the individual the perfect flatbread.
- The handle has to be kept pressed down for about 30 to 45 seconds, after this time open the handle of the electronic roti maker slid the roti into the roti maker. The roti will be hot after this procedure, the roti maker would be non-sticky and so it will be easy for the person to flip the roti with their bare hands or with the help of a pair of tongs.
- While keeping the lid open the roti has to be cooked for about 15 seconds, the roti has to be flipped now and then so that it does not get burned in the process. But the individual has to make sure that he or she does not flip the roti until the bubbles start to come up. Because if the roti is flipped without the bubbles coming up then it would not be cooked well.
- The roti would start to puff up slowly, which would mean that the roti is cooked but this puffed-up ball would fall back into a flat plate-shaped bread soon after. To make sure the roti is well cooked close down the lid but do not lock it and let the roti puff up again. The roti can be removed when it starts to open the lid by puffing up. Take the roti out and savor its taste with some hot sauce or curry. Repeat this same process for other balls of dough.
The Rotis cooked in the roti maker can be stored for later purposes and reheated in the roti maker and savored in the latter days.
Highlights Of Electric Roti Maker:
The Electric Roti Maker has some highlights and they are as follows:
- The indicator in the Electric Roti Maker helps to know whether the Roti Maker is on or off.
- The electric roti maker works on electricity and power so it has a shockproof body, which prevents the individual from getting a shock while working with the maker.
- The handle of the electric roti maker does not heat up with the base, so the person would not get their hands burned.
- The Electric Roti Maker usually has a temperature knob that can be adjusted based on the level of heat that the individual pleases.
To conclude, it means that a Roti maker helps the individual to save a lot of money and time, and it also saves up the manual exertion put to make the rotis. Hence, Electric roti Maker has become quite popular over time and has been used in a lot of households.